It is almost the start of a fresh new fall semester. Where did the summer go? To all the incoming freshman, welcome to college! I know most of you will be living in the dorm so I figured I would share a few of my dorm room necessities and survival tips.
Oh dorm life, one of the craziest adventures I have ever been on. From the 300 square feet of total room space to the extreme lack of closet space, my dorm room simply scared me. I spent the whole summer gathering items to make myself feel at home and as comfortable as I could. The picture above was taken on my second day living there, after my first night sleeping on that extra long twin bed (save your back with a memory foam pad and nice sheets). My hair was freshly chopped off and my mini fridge was well stocked. To make any dorm dwellers life a little less stressful, I made a list of my must haves and tips for dorm living.
- Monograms. I love a good monogram. I attempted to monogram most things in my corner of the room so they wouldn’t get mixed up. I monogramed my towels, my throw blanket, and even the wall above my bed. These plush monogramed towels came from Horchow (I got 3 sets -six towels- so I wouldn’t have to do laundry so often).
- Socks & Sleeping Masks. Do you know how dirty that floor gets? I always had a pair of socks on; I created quite the collection. My favorites come from JCrew, Topshop, and Kate Spade (my favorite bow ones are sold out.) You cannot live in a dorm without a sleeping mask. Roommates can end up working on homework well into the night. My favorites come from elizabethW and Kumi Kookoon (a cheaper all silk mask can be found here).
- Mirrors. I stuck a full length one to the wall at the end of my bed and a smaller one on my desk for my hair and makeup (The bathroom is always busy in the morning).
- Pillows & Blankets. I had about 7 pillows total on my bed when I wasn’t sleeping (2 euro shams, 2 regular shams, 2 sleeping pillows, and a bolster). When you don’t have a headboard it’s best to prop up on all of these. As for the blankets, I layered my bed with sheets, an amazing blanket like this one, my duvet, and my monogramed throw blanket (some nights were chilly!)
- Organizers. I stacked my desk with lots of things to organize it with. My favorite was my carrera marble slab. I could put my nail polish, hair accessories, makeup, and perfume bottles all on it without making my desk look cluttered. There are many different sizes and prices like this one, just search for carrera marble pastry board.
∗Above is an in progress shot of move in day. Boxes were piled high behind me!∗
These few items and my collection of tea made my tiny dorm room much more bearable. My advice: keep a decent bedtime, try not to put things off (like laundry… you need clean pajamas!), drink lots of green tea, make friends with everyone (you’ll want to escape to a different room sometimes), eat alone every once in awhile, trust your gut, and don’t give up… eye on the prize, right?♥
SHOP THE POST